Friday, September 4, 2009

PInk Saturday

It is that day of the week again, pink Saturday hosted by gracious host Beverly of How Sweet The Sound of
http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/. Thank you Beverly.
Today I have three pink flower fairies to show . All three are summer flowers from my book "Flower Fairies of the garden" written and illustrated by Cicely Mary Barker during the first half of the 20th century.
My book, that you can see when you scroll down a bit, is one of the eight original Flower Fairies books printed by Cicely Mary Barker's original publisher Blackie. This was printed in 1944.
 

The first Flower Fairy is the rose . This is what Cicely Mary Barker told about the rose.
Sweet rose is the gentlest of the summer Flower Fairies. A kind fairy she likes nothing more than tiptoeing around her flowers and tending to them in warm sunshine. She is a very good friend to the honey bees and is often seen guiding them to her fullest blooms and standing protectively beside them as they collect pollen.

 

Than there are the poppy and the phlox fairies. Beautifully illustrated and acompanied by their lovely poems.

 
Now if you want to see more pink go to Beverly's blog where you can find a list of all the other participants of Pink Saturday. They all show you their beautiful pink.
Thank you for your visit and I love to see your comments.
Have a nice day. Riet
Posted by Picasa

39 comments:

Catharina Maria said...

Ze zijn schattig , al die bloemen kindjes !
Fijn weekend , Rini

Amy said...

Happy Pink Saturday!!! thanks for sharing,Amy

Madelief said...

Hoi Riet,

Door jou heb ik mijn boek ook weer tevoorschijn gehaald! Wat een prachtige prentjes zijn het toch!

Fijn weekend!

groeten, Madelief

Unknown said...

Dag Riet,
Wat leuk! Dit zijn geloof ik prentjes uit oude boekjes, hè. Ik heb toevallig nog niet zo lang geleden het 'Complete Bloemenkinderen Boek' aangeschaft. Verder kocht ik toen tegelijkertijd 'Thuis bij Beatrix Potter'. Ook een heel mooi boek!
Wens je een fijn weekend. Geniet er van!
Vriendelijke groeten,
Marja

Anonymous said...

Absolutely charming. Have always been a fan of Cicely's works. Thanks to share and thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog. Have a nice Pink Saturday and beautiful week, my friend.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Riet,
What could be sweeter than flowers and poetry? They just naturally go together. Thanks for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday to you.

Blessings,
Sandi

Mary said...

Riet, you are fortunate to have the original books - I have a set but they are much newer. Even so, they are adorable and I just love Cicily's paintings and prose. The Lavender Fairy is my personal favorite........but these PINK ones are gorgeous too.

Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful PINK SATURDAY and weekend.

Mary - ACROSS THE POND

KayEllen said...

Beautiful:)
Happy Pink Saturday Riet!

Smiles,
kayellen

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

These are great. Thanks for sharing.

Creations from my heart said...

Thanks for stopping by on Pink Saturday. Love the books and the illistrations. You photos are just beautiful. Blessings...Sherry

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

You touched my heart with this post Riet ~ I admire Cicely Mary Barker's works so much. I have a few of her books and love to admire her artwork.

Such a perfect choice for Pink Saturday. I hope you're enjoying a wonderful weekend!

Eileen said...

What a wonderful post! I just love those fairy pictures. Happy Pink Saturday.

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Oh how lovely. Happy pink Saturday.
Vera

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Lovely pictures from a lovely old book. They remind me a t-shirt I had as a child that had a fairy on it.
Happy Pink Saturday :)

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Riet!
Happy Pink Saturday sweetie. I so love this fairy book. The Rose is the most precious, but Poppy is close behind. What a wonderful book of lovliness. Thanks so much for sharing. If you get the chance please stop by my Saturday blog and see my new blog introduction for my daughter. You have to go and view her blog. She has fairies and it is so beautiful to visit and browse through. Please take the time, you won't be sorry, seeing as how you love fairies too. Country hugs sweetie, Sherry

Unknown said...

These are so sweet, Riet!

LV said...

What a beautiful and different post for today. You did a super job assembling all this together.

Sue said...

Aren't you a lucky gal to own one of these original Cicely Mary Barker books? And how sweet of you to share it with us today. I peeked at your earlier posts of this same book...absolutely delightful!

Happy Pink Saturday,
Sue

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Such precious pink fairies Riet! Loely post AND I adore your blog header, it's fantastic!

Unknown said...

Oh, the flower fairies. I love them so. I must say that whenever I arrive here, your blog header takes my breath away.

Happy Pink Saturday,

Karen

Abatevintage said...

Oh my goodness, your blog is beautiful. Thank you for joining mine, if you don't mind I joined yours, I would love to see more of your book that is the most gorgeous book I have ever seen. It's marvelous! Have a blessed weekend.

Cheers,
Heidi

Vicki said...

Hi, Riet,
Such a sweet book! I love the verse and the illustrations. I am going to see if I can locate a copy of it. Thanks for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday! Vicki

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Riet,wat een prachtige plaatjes weer.
Ik word er steeds meer verliefd op.
Als iemand ooit die boekjes tegen komt,denk dan aan mij,ik zou ze zo graag willen kopen.
Maar helaas ben ik niet in staat door me ziekte dat te kunnen.
Heel erg mooi Riet.
Die oudheid trek toch veel meer dan dat moderne.

Liefs Riet.

Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!


Love this book!



~ Gabriela ~

Josephine said...

Hi Riet,

Wederom zit ik te genieten van deze prachtige prenten, werkelijk schitterend. En geweldig dat je en orgeneel exemplaar in je bezit hebt, printed by Cicely Mary Baker's uit 1944.

Fijn weekend, groetjes Josephine

Julie said...

love ot all...I am having a-give-away to celebrate my 1 month Blogoversary.... so come on over and check it out... We will picking a winner Late Monday night , and posting the results then...Have a wonderful Pink week and I hope to see back here next week...
xoxo
Julie

Claudia said...

These are absolutely beautiful, Riet!Her work is lovely. Happy Pink Saturday!

SmilingSally said...

How sweet are they!

Blondie's Journal said...

Lovely books, Riet! You are so lucky to have one of the originals!!

Happy Pink Saturday!!

xoxo
Jane

Mary said...

Beautiful, Riet! I would love to have a vintage book like this...thanks so much for sharing the darling pictures of the pink fairies! Have a wonderful week-end! Mary

Charo said...

Very Beautiful!!! Happy Pink Saturday

greet's foto's said...

mooi zijn ze he ,ik heb deze boekjes ook, en ben er stapel op.je tekst komt goed door,goed hoor.ik geniet van je blog

prettige Zondag greet

Anonymous said...

Hallo Riet, Ik ben wel eens op je blog geweest, zie ik nu. Bedankt voor het bezoeken van mijn blog. Ik ga je nu ook maar meteen een beetje volgen, want ik ben vol bewondering over je foto's en je bent ook fan van Doris, WOW. Hoe kan het dat jij ze zo mooi groot kunt plaatsen ? Ben je niet van google-blogger ? I love these fairies....hoeveel uurtjes met mijn dochter wel niet doorgebracht met deze boeken en boekjes en prenten, prachtig. Dank je voor deze post. Succes met vegetarisch koken: het is zóóó leuk !
Lieve groet
Godeliva van Ariadone

Anonymous said...

Ooohhhh what adorable creatures! I would pick a fave but it is just too hard :-) I love them all because they are just the cutest, sweetest little things :-)A beautiful book you have.

Happy Pink Weekend!

Li

Char said...

Those books are wonderful and the colors and illistrations are gorgeous. Happy Pink Saturday and thankyou for the kind comments on my blog, Char

The French Bear said...

Reit, I remember using Phlox in the flower store, how I miss the smell and the beautiful flowers! Your little fairies are so sweet, thanks so much for sharing!!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Heidi said...

Hi Riet,
I have the Flower Fairies books, and I've always loved them. How nice that you have such treasured copies! I really enjoyed seeing the pictures this morning, will have to go re-read my own sometime soon.
Thanks for always visiting, and leaving such kind comments.
Have a lovely weekend!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Draffin Bears said...

Happy pink Saturday Riet,

I love the post you have shared, lovely flowers and fairies.
My daughter has some Fairy books to which are beautiful.
Sweet book ~ Thank you.

Enjoy your week
Hugs
Carolyn

Bonnie said...

What a great book. Glad you shared it with us.