Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Flower Fairies.

Many, many years ago my birthdaygift was a little book from Cicely Mary Barker :Flower Fairies of the garden. It stayed with me all my life and I thought I might now and then show you one of her poems and pictures.The first one in the book is the winter aconite so I will show this flower fairies 002 today. As you can see the book is really old but a real treasure to me. I am not sure if it is one of the first prints but it might be because I received it in 1954.

flower fairy I hope it will be clear enough to read the poem. Maybe it needs to be enlarged.

Riet

10 comments:

Judith said...

Oh Riet how delightful - I clicked the photo and it enlarged so I could read the poem and 'yes' spring is coming at last. What a treasure to have. take care, Judith

G-STYLE said...

Hoi Riet ,leuk dat je ook even bij mij was , je hebt een gezellige blog .
Leuke foto's ook van je kleindochters (neem ik aan tenminste?)
veel plezier nog met het bloggen ........is leuk he!
groetjes Gea

Anonymous said...

Riet,what a treasure and to have it all your life.I win,i am the oldest.i was born in 1949.i became 60 a couple of wks ago.
I also enlarged it.I adore poetry.But to have had this all your life how nice.
Will you e-mail me at...jamesaskelton@yahoo.com...please.Ann

Linda said...

Hi Riet, What a lovely little book. Just a note to say that I have reached my 50th post. Giveaway!! good Luck Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh Riet,

What a sweet poem! I love that. A very old book indeed. I recently purchased an edition of Jeanne D'Arc that dates back to 1927. It is in french and the pages are uncut. The illustrations are beautiful, a treasure for sure.

I'm glad you liked my post about our trip to Liege. It is all true I assure you. An experience I surely won't forget. The pastries were served from a vendor and I only know they were sweet. In the US we have a pastry that is deep fried and has sugar on it that has a shape like an elephant ear, hence the name. I'm sure the pastry would have been very good but with my head pounding, lack of sleep, it just didn't agree with me.

Au Revoir,

Kris

Anonymous said...

Hi Riet,
Thank you to share your book with us. I already know Cicely Barker'work and her wonderful Flower fairies world. Her books have been very popular in the first half of the 20th century.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Riet...What a wwonderful book! It must hold so many memories for you! I used to love to study the illustrtions in my books and a special favorite was one that had fairies...so magical! Hope you are having a great week...Debbie

Ali @ Betty and Violet said...

I think the Flower Fairies books are so beautiful. It is especially nice to have an old book ~ a vintage treasure!

anon said...

Thanks Riet - you are very kind and thoughtful. Your English is wonderful it's more likely my way of writing!! :) but thanks for the encouragement. Judith

Chandy said...

Great choice for today. My daughter has a fairy puzzle book that's PINK. Happy Saturday!